Actor Johnny Depp has responded to his former wife Amber Heard’s request to have their recent defamation law trial rerun.
Legal representatives for Heard have cited mistrial, claiming that one of the jurors that participated in the case was not who should have been there. They claim a 77-year-old had been supposed to take part in the jury but instead a 52-year-old, who lived at the same address, showed up instead.
On this basis, Heard’s team say the original verdict – which ordered the actress to pay damages to Depp worth about $10 million, and he to pay her $2 million – is invalid and there should now be a retrial.
The original trial gripped the world earlier this year as the two actors played out a very public drama, which centred on an article Heard wrote for the Washington Post about domestic abuse. While he wasn’t named in that piece, Depp said it was defamatory as it implied he abused her during their short-lived marriage.
Depp’s legal team have responded to the request, saying the motion should be struck down. They say Heard’s legal team have had ‘more than enough time’ to find out things about those who served on the jury, according to E! News. They add that the person in question on the jury was still qualified to serve as such.
Thirdly, the request was put in on July 8, which was a week after the deadline the count imposed to make any disputes about the verdict, Depp’s team said.
Heard’s team has already disputed one part of the verdict, claiming one of the three statements found be defamatory – the headline of the piece – was not written by her, and therefore should not count against her. Depp’s lawyers responded saying that as Heard retweeted the piece, it counts as ‘actionable republication.’